-->
no
no

Refashioning My LBD

29 comments


Almost everyone I know has an LBD in their wardrobe. Mine had been refashioned once with colour ribbon to give it an edgy look (see here) but I soon realised the black fabric was fading into a blueish gray tinge. It definitely needed a fix to extend its life in my wardrobe. Its salvation came in the form of this lace dress that my friend had given to me as it was too short for her. 


The Original

It definitely was too lovely to cut up or even donate. I had to double check with my friend whether she really wanted to part with it.




First of all, I literally cut up the original LBD into front and back panels, removing the teal ribbon. Then I realised that to make it very different, I would wear it back to front!


Next, I cut out the lace, removed the sleeves and sewed it onto the front and back panels of the old dress. 



As there wasn't enough lace, I cut it into two halves - one for the bodice and the bottom half for the skirt.  The lace for the bodice was sewn to fit exactly to the old LBD.  



The bottom half was not fitted but became a loose skirt over the original LBD.  





The gap that was created on the original was filled in using the lining from the lace dress - I created a sash.



The final part was taking the trimming from the original lace dress and sewing it onto my LBD.



What is left of the lace dress!

My hubby says this is one of my better refashions, and said that I should wear it to the dinner at the Science Centre last Friday - and so I did!







author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

29 comments

  1. Very nice!! No one would even guess that you made the dress yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nueyer. That's really sweet of you to say so.

      Delete
  2. Good refashion you did!
    Found you on "A Refashion Obsession"

    Cheers,
    carmen@filodimiele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carmen. I think it's the best one I've done so far :-))))

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Waiwai. I've worn it out for a dinner :-)

      Delete
  4. wow! This is really inspiring! I love how you combined two different styles!
    MammaNene @ SergerPepper.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. A stunning dress, Agy and a fabulous refashion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful! The lace makes such a difference! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can always re-dye black clothing to give them new life, great alternative though! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karmi. I've never tried dying fabric but there's always a first time :-)

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  9. The new dress is really beautiful. Congratulations on recycling and making something this lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is the most beautiful refashioned dress I have ever seen. I would love to make this for my great grand daughter for her prom next year

    ReplyDelete
  11. She puts French designers to shame/ You go girl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment. You made my day!

      Delete
  12. Agy, I'm an accomplished seamstress (I can say that after 35 years) and can sew well, but it would never occur to me to remake a dress like that. You "eye" is a wonderful gift and your talent is a great accompaniment to go with itt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne for your very lovely comment.

      Delete
  13. brilliant job - great to see a dress in its third form! it looks great on you too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE this dress! I enjoyed seeing and reading about the whole process of how you refashioned it. Well done!

    http://passportcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Could you make a pattern of the dress

    ReplyDelete

no
no