-->
no
no

Get Creative at PMQ Hong Kong

8 comments
During my stay in Hong Kong, I visited PMQ. PMQ stands for Police Married Quarters. It was built in the 50s to house police officers and their families. The interesting aspect about the design of the building is that it encouraged families to come together via its open areas, gardens, verandahs and communal kitchens. I don't think we get this community spirit any more now that we keep to ourselves in tiny flats. However, it is this open aspect of the building that the current users now take advantage of. No longer used as married quarters, PMQ has been preserved to house the creative industries of Hong Kong. 

I loved the atmosphere, and there were a lot of workshops going on, as well as designers who were revitalising old or long forgotten trades. I would love to see this place flourish and encourage others to embark on their own creative journey instead of becoming just another mall (fingers crossed)! Take a look at the pictures!

Address: 35 Aberdeen St, Central, Hong Kong
Nearest train station: Sheung Wan MRT



The architectural structure of PMQ has been retained.


The common areas that run along the front of the PMQ flats. Between the two blocks of flats is a garden where PMQ holds a night market during the weekends (until end of July)


There is even an area for the children to get creative. This is the Chocolate Rain floor. I love the patchwork and the colours. It might be a bit too girly for the boys though.


Spotted an industrial knitting machine. This lady knits her own products. Unfortunately, I didn't note down the name of her store.


This is the workspace of Pomch. I noticed that there are no internal walls within each unit so basically families used to share one big room!



Workspace of Jungle in a Bottle




Debbie Leung teaches felting, but she is a fiber artist, an upcycler and natural dye expert! All her designs are handmade. 


Hulu, an NGO that strives to preserve traditional crafts and creative industries.


Mr Cheung making what he does best, metal products (see picture below)




One of my favourites, Stitch Paperie. Phoebe combines stitching with cardboard art.





author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

8 comments

  1. I have visited Hong Kong before, but I don't think I have been to any of the spots mentioned in your post. It is such an amazing city with so much to see. Must go back.it looks like you had a fantastic visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with KJ. I've never been to HK but it is on my wish list. Thank you for letting us a glimpse into it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've a nice capture of PMQ. We need such space for local creativity. I've been there in May then was not fully occupied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there were still some empty spaces but I'm sure it will be filled up soon!

      Delete
  4. What a great place to visit, love all of the different types of industry going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really like how they are reviving the old industries.

      Delete

no
no