-->
no
no

2nd IKEA Lamp Upcycle

3 comments



It's not often that you get to upcycle things twice!  Well, I grew tired of my upcycled lamp (originally from IKEA) - do you remember the one that was upcycled with an old t-shirt? I decided that it needed something different. The original idea was to sew bits of scrap fabric and mod podge them onto the lampshade, but after much procrastination, it boiled down to some acrylic paint and a hot glue gun. This project was done in a matter of hours (well, if you minus the drying!)




To be honest, I didn't really do much planning, and because I didn't I am able to show you why it is so important to PLAN ahead. You see, I was just going to glue bits and bobs from my stash of buttons. 


But then on closer look I realised the fabric of the lampshade was just too grotty to look at. Can you see all the yellow patches? 



So, acrylic paint it was. I had to do two coats to cover up the fabric. 

I do wish I had painted the lamp first before gluing on the bits and bobs. I used a sponge applicator and fine paint brush to get into the nooks and crannies, and ensure it looked decent enough! I also had to use nail varnish remover to get rid of any excess paint on the buttons.



What I like about this upcycle is that I've added trinkets that have special meaning to me! A lot of the buttons are from old garments.



I definitely think this is a lot brighter than the original lampshade. Would this make it an IKEA hack? 


author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

3 comments

no
no