-->
no
no

Teaching the Disadvantaged - 4 Things I Learnt

No comments
My cousin is intellectually disabled. He has a mind of a 5 year old, but physically he's almost sixty. Yet, a stranger will stare and think ill of him even though my cousin means no harm. In fact, he can do a lot more than just smile and giggle - he understands what is going on around him, he interprets emotions, and he does a good job folding pieces of paper. 

I was reminded of my cousin firstly, when I had the opportunity to teach a group of 12 year old kids at Chaoyang School (a special education school), and secondly when I witnessed the skills of the students of Tanglin School (another special education school) yesterday afternoon at IDA, Singapore. 



This is what I learnt:

1. They are no different from you and me
It might be stating the obvious, but sometimes we forget! In fact they are very curious; I wonder whether it is because they are more visual learners than we are. The Chaoyang children were given a tour of IDALabs and the OneMaker Group workspaces at National Design Centre, and they were intrigued by the prototyping that could be done. I liked how they had ideas of their own - one kid wanted to make a magnet and I think he's coming back to do it!

2. Praise their efforts
A little confidence boost goes a long way even if it is for what might seem to be a small thing to you!



3. Be very patient AND forgiving
The intellectually disabled take a little longer to learn, but they will get it in the end. Sometimes, you have to adjust your workshop so that their needs are met. For example, one child had poor motor skills and had trouble with tying knots. What have I learnt from this? I should have been more prepared so that another technique could be used. 

4. Be prepared for surprises
Never underestimate them. In fact, at the Chaoyang workshop, some of the kids were able to sew electronic circuits onto their bags without much help, while the Tanglin students (16 year olds) managed to tackle the 3D printer and design their own 3D printed products! 

Have you worked with the disadvantaged? What are your tips? 



author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

No comments

Post a Comment

no
no