-->
no
no

Stimulating Creativity - Developing Sketchbooks

7 comments
Stimulating Creativity - Developing Sketchbooks
Sometimes when I want to upcycle or repurpose something, my mind goes blank.
I have a sudden fear of deconstructing or cutting it up, that I end up not touching it at all.
The project gets shelved and it is forgotten.
Everyone feels this way at some time or another - looking at a blank page (or anything!) and holding your pencil, wanting to put something down but can't.

I recently took up an online sketch book workshop taught by artist, Dionne Swift. You might be thinking why I took it as I don't draw, but the process of developing sketch books really helped me in building my creative stamina

developing sketchbooks


Don't Fear the Blank Page
That's right, we were told to "pimp up" every blank page with everything and anything we had. Why, I even used nail varnish! 

stimulating creativity


Don't Overthink it
Sometimes overthinking will just make things complicated. Just let it go!

developing sketchbooks


Things Are Not What They Seem
When  you develop your sketch book, you create a library of designs / patterns / colours for yourself to refer to. If you get stuck during a project, you can take your book and leaf through it for inspiration. Sometimes you might find something you like!

For me, I find that the whole process was relaxing and helped me look at objects differently. Developing your own sketchbook will definitely help you in idea generating ideas and designs for your projects. 

developing sketchbooks


I have found it very useful in my weaving projects especially when it comes to choosing colours and patterns.

Here's my latest sakiori projects using waste textiles.

weaving sakiori

weaving sakiori

Disclaimer: I paid for and attended the online course. All views are my own.
author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

7 comments

  1. I'm with you, Agy. I am so guilty of over thinking things. Sounds like a great course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Pam! The course has been great - a real eye-opener :)

      Delete
  2. I'd love to learn how to weave someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so colorful and I love all of the color and textures! What a great inspiration like you said for your other projects!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. the blank page is always the hardest step it doesnt matter what you do, this is amazing and a great iniciative to just relax and let the best of you flow

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! You're so right... sometimes we just need to kickstart the creativity with something that frees our minds!

    Thanks for sharing.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea! Especially for those times when you need some extra inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

no
no